Friday, June 25, 2010

Preparing

This week we went up to Naperville to get re-fingerprinted for the USCIS--our prints expire in August, but we went just to be safe.  Much pleasant-er trip than the first time!!  Ted even made conversation with the government employees, even though I told him not to before we went :).  Had lunch with my brother, then on the way home had an hour 1/2 teleconference with Wide Horizons about travel logistics.  They were hoping to give us travel dates, but they're just not available from the Ethiopian courts yet.  We did find out the reason for the 3-7 week delay after our first trip is not because of the Ethiopian gov't., but so that the American Embassy can process our paperwork.  I think I'll never forget this process, but I already forgot some things I did in the beginning.  I don't think I'll ever get rid of all the paperwork because I think it will be interesting for Eli to see it someday!
So the teleconference got me excited but nervous...we couldn't listen on speakerphone, so I had to take it all in then play it back to Ted as we were finishing our drive home.  Nothing too shocking, except that Ted will have to wear a tie on our court day!!!  Our main job the first trip is to be an observer, helper, and nurturer for Eli.  We won't be parenting yet, but we can play with him everyday at the transition home.  They just want to reduce the trauma he might feel when we again "disappear" for a few weeks.
We found out we'll be staying in a hotel the first trip, rather than in the guest house.  I was looking forward to the guest house, but we'll do that the second trip around.
The other thing we did in Naperville, besides buying new shoes for the trip, was to buy a guide book.  I've been reading it this week, and Ethiopia is fascinating!!  The author said it was the most beautiful country he'd ever visited.  I've probably learned more in just 2 days about Ethiopia than all my prior knowledge put together.  I'm so eager to continue.
Other good news:  a positive word from one of our grant agencies--we passed the "first round," and they're passing on to the local chapter to decide if we'll receive funding.  We keep praying.   God is faithful!

2 comments:

  1. Woo Hoo! So much good news!

    I can't wait to see a picture of Ted in a tie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Teresa...FYI I used to wear a tie on a weekly basis. I even remember how to tie the tie!!!

    ReplyDelete